gnokii broke my 6230

From: Wolfram Stumpf
Subject: gnokii broke my 6230
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:17:38 +0200

Hello everybody,

I finally got my bluetooth stuff running on my laptop powered by Gentoo linux. Happy about that, I emerged the "gnokii suite" including xgnokii. After some configuration cycles, I managed to connect to my phone. I could read the phone book and so on. After trying to edit my personal details on the phone, xgnokii and my phone crashed. After killing xgnokii (the GUI was dead), my phone hang. I had to remove the battery to be able to restart it. From now on, the phone isn't able to boot anymore. It asks for the PIN and reboots after displaying the prompt for the current time. I tried to start with a different SIM card, but managed to get pass the time/date setting only once. It seems to me, that I have to bring the phone to the Nokia service center.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to warn about the gnokii phone killing feature ? I informed myself about gnokii before the first use and found nothing dangerous. I found something in the mailing list archive about the killing feature.

Are there anymore informations helpful to make gnokii a bit more safe and a bit less phone killing, that I could provide? Config files?

Has someone found a way to reanimate the phone without a Nokia service center?

Kind regards,

  Wolfram Stumpf