Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:31:45 +0100

Hi,

On 1/20/06, Pavel Machek <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Út 17-01-06 00:18:55, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 1/17/06, Pavel Machek <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > I guess it would be better if proxyd talked AT natively. If you want
> > > to talk to obsolete nokia phones (and you probably don't, your
> > > communicator has standard AT, right?), you just connect it to
> > > gnokii. [There's already gnokii part that speaks fbus/whatever to the
> > > phone and AT commands to rest of the system].
> >
> > There are few problems with that approach. AT commands even in the
> > enhanced set offer limited functionality. Much more limited that the
> > phone offers itself (using different protocols). Moreover modern
> > phones (especially Nokia) offer *very* limited AT subset implemented.
> > IMHO AT based proxy is no-go (well, depending on what are your needs).
> > At least a dead end.
>
> What is missing from Nokia's AT commands?
>
> Important stuff (from my point of view, anyway) is to take a call,
> send a sms, receive a call, receive an sms.

And enter the security code. And that's all for Nokia phones. If
that's fine with you, nothing's wrong. Just the competiors give much
more functionality into the subset of supported extended AT commands.
And it makes the library that wants to support them all much more
complicated.

> I agree that AT commands are wrong thing to do for stuff like
> contact.. where some transport of VCARD/VCALENDAR would be way nicer.

Sure. If every vendor would do it the same way it would be fine. But
still you would need various transport protocols implementations in
the library.

http://www.gnokii.org/