Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xanadux/qomunicator/
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 22:22:20 +0000

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:05:52PM +0100, Pawel Kot wrote:

> > Daemon that presents 5 virtual telephones talking to one real
> > telephone, or something like that. Similar to gpsd.
>
> Need to look at gpsd. But I think virtual telephone may be a bit too
> much. I like to look at it as on the message bus supporting
> synchronous and asynchronous communication. I can't see any additional
> value from virtual phone abstraction.

 the principle behind gpsd is that you issue _simple_ commands
 of one character in length, and the responses come back "preparsed".

 so gpsd takes care of parsing the NMEA data for you, and if you happen
 to know which one-character commands to type, then you can just telnet
 to gpsd and get a rough idea of what's going on.

 basically, the "hard" stuff is taken care of - once - and all
 subsequent "users" of the multiplexing daemon have a far easier time
 getting messages, making phone calls, getting status info and
 contact details.

 l.