Re: nokia 6230i missing functionality

From: Peter Robinson
Subject: Re: nokia 6230i missing functionality
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 22:06:18 +0100

> > The Nokia 6230i has "notes". gnokii does not appear have an option to
> > retrieve this information.
>
> Is it something else then todo?

Yea, its basically a text string similar to that of memos (from
memory) in the Palm PDAs, but its different to todo (and I find very
useful).. I use them to take down random web addresses etc of
newspapers and random stuff that I read in random locations.

> Thanks for spotting. Yeah, sysdate feature would be nice and fairly
> easy to implement. Anyone to submit a patch? ;-)

Agreed :-)

> > Another small problem: why does "gnokii --getphonebook SM 1 end --raw"
> > have to write out "Empty memory location. Skipping." so many times? I
> > know that there are empty locations and I don't care.
> > "--getcalendarnote" also writes out "The calendar note can not be read:
> > The given location is empty." which isn't very interesting.
>
> Yes. But IMHO it is important to have this in the output. If you don't
> want to see any warnings use:
> $ gnokii --whatever [options] 2>/dev/null

Would it be possible to disable this output unless your specify a
debug or verbose mode?

> > xgnokii allows the "caller_group_number" of each phone book entry to be
> > stored in the phone.  Does anyone know how to access this information
> > using a Nokia 6230i?
>
> This is a caller group -- you can assing to an entry group Family, Friends,
> etc.

The 6230i also allows an arbitary number of groups as well. I'm sure
there must be a limit but I haven't seen it. It also allows you to add
each contact to more than one group.

pete