Re: [RFD] events from libgnokii

From: Phil Ashby
Subject: Re: [RFD] events from libgnokii
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 08:26:34 +0100

Pawel Kot wrote:

Hi,

I just spent an hour trying to figure out what's wrong with Nokia 6170
and file transfer. Beside problem with gnokii.c it appeared that
nothing's wrong, just the transmission takes that long. so i added
some kind of the progress status: after every file part taken from the
phone it is written do the stderr how much is already done. It is
silly, works for command line tools (also not too nice). But it won't
work for any GUI. The only sane way (IMHO) to display the progress bar
in the GUI is to publish (asynchronous) events how much is done (I
hope that's clear how I'd like it to work). I'm thinking of using DBUS
for that. Does it sound sane? Is here anybody with some experience in
this area?

PS. Apparently FSF has problem with moving to the new office and there
are problems with availability of the mailing list itself and
lists.nongnu.org servers.

I've just looked briefly at a couple of D-BUS articles and think that it will work, but seems rather OTT just to provide progress information to a GUI application. Perhaps if libgnokii allowed a callback function pointer to be registered for internal event reporting, and a separate module (linked as part of libgnokii or gnokii?) provides a default callback function that sends these internal events as D-BUS events, or Win32 messages (since D-BUS does not exist on Win32 yet :). This gives applications the chance to replace the callback with their own handler outside a D-BUS environment (BSD?), keeps the event reporting within libgnokii simple (just a call to an event dispatcher which in turn checks for a registered callback function) and keeps things working on Windows.

My 2p worth.

Phil.