Compiling Gnokii on Mac OS/X 10.2

From: Bram Moolenaar
Subject: Compiling Gnokii on Mac OS/X 10.2
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:47:12 +0200

I have attempted to install gnokii on my Mac Powerbook, running OS/X
10.2.  Here are my experiences.

Running ./configure seems to go OK.

"make" complains:
Makefile:74: warning: overriding commands for target `intl'
Makefile:68: warning: ignoring old commands for target `intl'
make -C intl
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../config.h', needed by `bindtextdom.lo'.
Stop.

Obviously the target "intl" is mentioned twice, once directly and once
through $(DIRS).  Worked around this by removing "intl" from $(DIRS) and
typing "make intl" first.

Building works fine then.  "make install" also works fine (with a couple
of warnings).

But running gnokii doesn't work:
dyld: gnokii can't open library: /usr/local/lib/libintl.3.dylib  (No such file
or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap

I don't know how to solve this.  Thus I decided to build without native
language support:
        make distclean
        ./configure --disable-nls

(note that "make distclean" doesn't delete the link of config.h to
include/config.h).

Then compiling fails:
gcc -g -O2 -I../getopt -I../include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
-c ../intl/localcharset.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o ../intl/.libs/localcharset.o
../intl/localcharset.c: In function `get_charset_aliases':
../intl/localcharset.c:119: `LIBDIR' undeclared (first use in this function)
../intl/localcharset.c:119: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
../intl/localcharset.c:119: for each function it appears in.)

A hack to work around this is to remove one line from Makefile.global:
        NEED_LCHARSET = 1
A proper solution would solve this in the configure script.

The second problem happens a bit later:

gcc gnokii.o -framework CoreFoundation -framework IOBluetooth -framework
Foundation -o .libs/gnokii  ../getopt/libgetopt.a -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXpm -lX11
../common/.libs/libgnokii.dylib
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _snprintf
../common/.libs/libgnokii.dylib(snprintf.o) definition of _snprintf
/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(snprintf.So) definition of _snprintf
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _vsnprintf
../common/.libs/libgnokii.dylib(snprintf.o) definition of _vsnprintf
/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(vsnprintf.So) definition of _vsnprintf
ld: Undefined symbols:
_locale_charset
make[1]: *** [gnokii] Error 1

This can be solved by putting #ifdef HAVE_ICONV / #endif around the
get_langinfo_codeset() function in common/gsm-encoding.c

Now I have a working gnokii!

I also managed to compile a GTK version of xgnokii after installing
GTK+.  With similar problems.  Now I'll have to figure out why it
crashes when trying to open the tools window...

241. You try to look for Net Search even when you're in File Manager.

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- address@hidden -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\  Buy at Amazon and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/click1.html ///