vcf/ldiff export: fields used for phonenumber?

From: Oliver Jusinger
Subject: vcf/ldiff export: fields used for phonenumber?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:35:33 +0200

mobile: Nokia6230
gnokii 20041013
kaddressbook 3.3

Meanwhile the problems reported about a month ago seem to be fixed, thanks!!
however, I still can't get my kaddressbook entries written into my mobile:

1) When i export the kaddressbook entries as vcf or ldif and write them with
gnokii, all entries are written into my phonebook. However: just the names,
no phonenumber.
It looks as if the fieldnames exported by kaddressbooks are not the same
gnokii expects for writing?

vcf:
BEGIN:VCARD
CLASS:PUBLIC
FN:firstname lastname
N:lastname;firstname;;;
PRODID:GNOKII_XXPORT-RH12_28_--V 04.28-353768002652209
TEL;TYPE=HOME:+43699xxxxxxxxx
UID:7fE5vJ4eEd
VERSION:3.0
END:VCARD

ldif:
dn: cn=firstname lastname,mail=
givenname: firstname
sn: lastname
cn: firstname lastname
uid: 4AD9L0S8xK
homephone: 0699xxxxxxxxxx
ou:
modifytimestamp: 20040911T031055Z
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: organizationalPerson

2) when i use the kaddressbook export to Nokia, the export still stops after
about 20% (meanwhile i faked libgnokii2.deb on my debian and removed the
original debian binaries, so i'm quite sure kaddressbook uses the current
self compiled gnokii files). The only debug output i have is:

Message received: 0x03 / 0x0016
01 6f 00 0c 00 01 04 00 00 10 00 00 00 13 00 00 |  o
04 47 05 00 00 00                               |  G
Received message type 03
kaddressbook: WARNING: GNOKII export filter finished.
Serial device: closing device

It seems in this case kaddressbook exports in a different way than vcf/ldif
does, because I get the phonebooks stored on my mobile. However just the
first 20% :-( I'm really courious what kaddressbook does when exporting to
Nokia..

3) Feature Wish:
My mobile just knows names, it doesnt distinguish between first- and lastname.
Gnokii (or kaddressbook? depends which fields from the vcf/ldif files are used
by gnokii) seems to write name = firstname lastname, so all addresses are
ordered by firstname.
It would really be great if this (name = lastname firstname) could be
configured somewhere.

By the way: the original Nokia Software (Outlook Export) has exactly the same
problem, my co-worker (Windows user with the same mobile) reported to me. He
contacted Nokia, they don't seem to care about that. Some hundred phone
entries sorted by first name are no fun however :-) I dont care about
Windows, but it would be nice if it could be done with kaddressbook/gnokii
(i'm not sure where it makes more sense to configure that).

Oliver