Re: DKU-5 and FreeBSD

From: Brian Reichert
Subject: Re: DKU-5 and FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 11:32:12 -0400

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 02:12:10AM -0600, address@hidden wrote:
> Thanks for the input! This is just what I wanted to know:
> which cable has the chip that will work with FreeBSD.
> How well does the cable work? Any packet drops, erros? I have
> some cable with RS232 connector, and it is almost unusable,
> because of ~ 30% error rate...

I had tested both gnokii and gammu with my phone with said cable
('identify' and others) in 'AT' mode.  No diagnostics ever reported
issues like dropped packets.

> Now, can you test in any of the following will work with your phone?

Apparently, no. :/  I reinstalled my desktop's ports.  Same kernel,
with patch, still detects my DKU cable:

  ucom0: Prolific Technology PL2303 Serial adapter (ATEN/IOGEAR UC232A), rev
  1.10/2.02, addr 2

But, now, neither gnokii 0.6.3, nor gammu 0.94.0, can connect to
my phone.  :/

I don't know how to fetch gnokii 0.6.4-CVS-20040709 out of CVS,
that source seemed to work.  Recent CVS snapshots fail; 'autogen.sh'
produces an invalid configure file:

  ./configure.lineno: 3515: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

Still poking, to see if I can put things back.  With gammu, at
least, in the past, I could get phone numbers and SMS messages out
of the phone.

(To the gnokii folks, sorry about introducing gammu stuff here; I'm
on a blind scrounge to get any code to work...)

I'll report my findings...

--
Brian Reichert                          <address@hidden>
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842