First experiences with gnokii

From: Torsten Landschoff
Subject: First experiences with gnokii
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:10:20 +0200

Hi Folks,

About Gnokii 0.6.3 combined with a Nokia 6310:

We tried gnokii today and killed a SIM card by writing completely
senseless entries into the phonebook which can't even be deleted :(
using xgnokii. We'll continue trying to fix the phone. ;)

We found a few problems with the CLI version as well. Running

  gnokii --writephonebook < backup.raw

(after having created backup.raw by gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end -r)
fails if the phonebook is completely empty with the message

  Error (Invalid type of memory).

You can work around this by creating a dummy entry. Then restoration
fails because gnokii asks on stdin (?) for confirmation to overwrite
the entry which does not work since that's where the data is coming from
;)

Also entires containing newlines (for example in the address field) make
gnokii fail to save and restore the phonebook.

Apart from that it is good to know that there is something we can use to
store our phonebooks - thanks for all your efforts. Hopefully these
comments are helpful to somebody.

Greetings
  Torsten & Oli