Re: SMS mass sending

From: BORBELY Zoltan
Subject: Re: SMS mass sending
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:57:32 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 12:27:33PM +0200, Martins wrote:
> Is it technically aviable to implement mass SMS sending function? I'm
> trying to set up a monitoring system which alerts users by SMSs, but the
> maximum rate which I can achieve is 7 SMSs per min and it's too slow.
> I'm not sure that Nokia phones support such sending, anybody can comment?

There are two things which can limit sms sending speed:
* if you are using the gnokii --sendsms command, you have to wait until
  gnokii initiate the connection to phone
* the phone has to wait the acknowledge from the sms center of your
  mobile provider

You can eliminate the first problem if you will use smsd. smsd initiates
the connection only on startup. In this case you will insert a row into
an sql table and smsd will send it in the background.

You cannot eliminate the second problem so easily, but you can try
to use multiple phones in this case. smsd is able to use multiple
phones since 0.5.6.

You can find smsd in the gnokii source tarball, but it won't compile
automatically. Look into smsd/README for more info.

Bye,
Bozo