Re: gnokii charset problems

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: gnokii charset problems
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 19:17:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Osma Suominen wrote:

> gnokii.c:
>       - assume Latin1 input regardless of locale (NOT OK)
>       - if contains char not in Latin1/DA map, set enc to UCS2 (NOT OK)
>               -> gsm-sms.c translates from <locale> to UCS2 (OK)
>
> gsm-sms.c:
>       - if req. encoding is DA, convert from Latin1 to def.alph. (NOT OK)
>       - if req. encoding is UCS2, convert from <locale> to UCS2 (OK)
>
> READ
> ----
>
> gnokii.c:
>       - print user_data[0].u.text to stdout; no charset conversion (OK)
> gsm-sms.c
>       - if encoding is UCS2, convert from UCS2 to <locale> (OK)
>       - if encoding is DA, convert from DA to Latin1 (NOT OK)

At the first reading I thought you are not right with these NOT OK's, but
apparently you are right. It is possible that some non-Latin1 characters
maps correctly to the default alphabet.

So the only reasonable reason is to store it all encoded in unicode.

> gn_char_def_alphabet should be made locale-aware; this would fix gnokii.c

I'll do it today.

Thanks for the analisys. It was quite inspiring :-)