Re: 3110 SMS data encoding [patch]

From: Osma Suominen
Subject: Re: 3110 SMS data encoding [patch]
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 11:23:49 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Pawel Kot wrote:

> I'd prefer phone propoerties usage for this:
>       if (model.flags & PM_SMS_PDU) {
>               /* handle PDU SMS */
>       } else {
>               /* handle ASCII SMS */
>       }

I think an even better place for this is the driver specific parameters
i.e. the gn_phone data structure, since this is really not phone
specific but phone family (eg 3110/3810/8110/8110i) specific.

Another issue is that this information (what encoding the phone driver
wants) must somehow be passed to the relevant functions in gsm-sms.c
i.e. sms_data_encode and sms_data_decode. I don't think adding more
parameters to 4 API functions is a good idea, so I'm currently trying to
implement this so that there's an extra field in the gn_sms_raw data
structure that is used to pass around the expected encoding (both ways).

Note that ASCII is not really a good name for what we're talking about,
as the 3110 at least expects Latin-1 (ASCII is 7bit only, remember) and
PDU is not really a good name for the alternative since PDU means much
more - and in general, the 3110 follows the PDU spec expect for the
different text encoding. So I think 7bit (or specifically 7bit packed
Default Alphabet) and Latin1 are better names for these two
alternatives. On a related note, there are several places in gnokii
source that say "ascii" but actually mean "latin1".

-Osma

--
*** Osma Suominen *** address@hidden *** http://www.iki.fi/ozone/ ***