Re: KnokiiSync

From: Dimitris Stasinopoulos
Subject: Re: KnokiiSync
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:21:38 +0300

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 02:37, Pawel Kot wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2003, Dimitris Stasinopoulos wrote:
>
> Hi Dimitris,
>
> Well, I had a chance to test it at last.
> Testing environment:
>  - Slackware 9.0
>  - KDE 3.1
>  - gcc 3.2
>  - gnokii's CVS as of now
>  - Nokia 6310
>  - DLR3p connection
>
> First few good words. It looks nice, very nice. It is useful. It goes
> into the good direction. Keep on doing think. I'm going to help if you
> are interested. And quite nice website. :-)
>
> Now few bitter words. knokiisync does not compile for me in the shape
> you distribute it. The patch touches only one file -- will send you a
> patch tomorrow, it's pretty simple.

No need - someone already reported that, it was a broken "cvs" tarball.
Will update with 0.2 soon.

> The source code is a disaster. I understand that it is an alpha
> software, but DO INDENT it in the CONSISTANT way. It is totally
> unreadable at the moment.  I needed to reindent it on my own to find
> out where the extra bracket is. Reindenting is not that hard: see
> indent program. And it would really help you to get people invoved in
> hacking the source code.

This is the result of using Qt Designer, KDevelop and C++ style
indentation. As you call it, a complete identation disaster. Qt Designer
is a little too restrictrive on it's indentation options, and thus all
the *ui.h files need _a lot_ of work.

> Program does do connection to the phone on startup but does not read
> anything from the phone. Some thoughts:
>  - don't initialize connection on startup, just on demand; or better
> allow to set in the configuration whether the initialization should be
> performed on startup.
>  - send some keepalives, otherwise the link will be lost

Point 1: This is already been done. There is an option called "connect on
startup".
Point 2: Will there, now that you mention it. Thanks for the idea.

> Most of the entries I got in my phone have just a name and a phone
> number. Surprisingly *all* phone numbers (shown as preferred numbers on
> the right panel) disappeared on the left panel.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you only have 1 number in your phone,
it is bound to be the preferred one.

> I created anentry with more fields filled in (all kinds of number,
> email etc). These fields were assigned to the incorrect entry after
> copying from the phone to the knokiisync.

This is propably due to the nature of the broken tarball. It works for me
100%, preferred etc. Only the address is not copied, and I mention the
reason in the source.

> And at the ending: when I closed the application it didn't get closed
> -- needed to press ctrl-c on the console where I started it.

It also happens to me sometimes, but I haven't figured it out yet, mainly
because I had my mind on other things.

> But anyway: good job, thanks for work spent on it. I think it's gonna
> be a killer app. Just please do reindent the sources and don't put the
> function bodies into the *.h files.
>
> pkot

Thanks, I'm looking towards a 0.2 within the week. Stay tuned!

Dimitris

--
Q: What's the difference between a terrorist and an object methodologist?
A: You can negotiate with the terrorist.