Re: Gnokii with infrared on FreeBSD 4.8

From: Panagiotis Astithas
Subject: Re: Gnokii with infrared on FreeBSD 4.8
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 10:22:47 +0300

Pawel Kot wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Tiarnan O'Corrain wrote:

Can anyone give me an explanation of the following?
"Couldn't open PHONET device:

This is an error message from gnokii: the device_open() function did not
succeed.

Bad file descriptor"

And this it an error message from the operating system. Not seeing your
full debug output I can't say where the exact reason is but I belive it is
fd = socket(AF_IRDA, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
which returns -1.

pkot

FreeBSD doesn't implement AF_IRDA and basically any of the IrDA stack. The birda port provides some binary utilities, but no API's for gnokii to use (header files & libraries). So, my suggestion to Tiarnan would be to read through the birda programs, extract the relevant code and modify gnokii to interface to it. Since I have never used birda, I can't be of any more help though.
--
Panagiotis Astithas
Electrical & Computer Engineer, PhD