Re: gnokii 0.4.3: smsd leading zero truncation problem.

From: Jan Derfinak
Subject: Re: gnokii 0.4.3: smsd leading zero truncation problem.
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:54:03 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Pawel Kot wrote:

> > I don't understand Pawel's answer.
> > This is error during compilation.
>
> No, this is the error during the linking.

Yes I know, I only want to point out that it is not runtime.

> > But we have -L../common switch.
> > I have never copied libgnokii to /usr/local/lib but compilation works
> for me.
>
> Yeah, that's the other option. But once you have
> libgnokii.so installed in /usr/local/lib it takes the
> precedence over ../common location.

This is absolutly wrong. If it is true, you will be unable linking own
binaries with own libraries as normal user. This isn't unix behaviour. The
command line options must override default values. This behaviour is
described in manual page:
       -Lsearchdir
       --library-path=searchdir
           Add path searchdir to the list of paths that  ld  will
           search  for  archive libraries and ld control scripts.
           You may use this option  any  number  of  times.   The
           directories  are  searched  in the order in which they
           are specified on the command line.  Directories speci?
           fied  on  the  command  line  are  searched before the
                                                       ^^^^^^
           default directories.  All -L options apply to  all  -l
           options,  regardless of the order in which the options
           appear.

The problem I see in this case is that we have -rpath on the front of line.
The manual page says:
           The  -rpath  option is  also  used  when locating shared
           objects which are needed by shared objects explicitly
           included  in  the link

The directory order is taken from command line options order which is wrong
in this case. User can very easly link binaries with old libraries.
Why we need -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib in command line?

                                        jano