Re: Q: How to connect a 6210

From: Malte Schünemann - WEB DE
Subject: Re: Q: How to connect a 6210
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:19:38 +0100

Jan Schubert wrote:

For several month i'm trying ocassionaly to connect my Nokia 6210 (and also a 6110) to my laptop. I'm quity sure that my irda-port is working. If i do a cat to ttyS1 i can "see" my irda-port blinking (using a DDC-Camera). But i've no succes connecting my phone to that port.

When starting gnokii there is just an activity to my irda-port if i choose "connection = serial" in gnokiirc (my infrared-port os assigned to com2). Any entry like irda or infrared will _not_ work. When placing my phone in front of it - menu infrared enabled - and starting gnokii --<something> nothing happens. My gnokiirc looks something like:

[global]
port = /dev/ttyS1
model = 6210
connection = serial

I'm also not sure about selecting SIR or FIR in the bios of my laptop, but "seeing" the phone sending data i guess it is using SIR. May someone also complain, which kernel-options to choose for compiling linux (needed for gnokii to get my phone connected)?

I'm usind GNOKII Version 0.4.3, Linux 2.4.20 (actually 2.4.20-gentoor-r1) running on an up-to-date gentoo box.
Also tried GNOKII Version 0.5.0pre1 whith no success...

Any help?

TiA,
Jan

----
here is some sample output:

address@hidden ~ $ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.5.0pre1
IMEI         : (unknown)
Manufacturer : Nokia
Model        : (unknown)
Revision     : (unknown)

toral root # gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ttyS1 is stale. Overriding it..
IMEI         : (unknown)
Manufacturer : Nokia
Model        : (unknown)
Revision     : (unknown)

I just provided a solution for my 6310i - maybe it works for you the same way. The assignment of the IR port to COM2 keeps IrDA from working ... try using my successful approach (working thanks to Pawel).
o kill xgnokii + irattach if already started
o unload modules (ircomm, irtty, irport, nsc-ircc, irda)
o setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart none (just to be sure)
o again load modules
o start irattach + start IR mode of my phone
o start xgnokii once my mobile is seen in /proc/net/irda/discovery (not before)

connection = irda, model = 6310, port = /dev/ircomm0

Malte