Re: Trying to connect to a 6250

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Trying to connect to a 6250
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:50:56 +0100 (CET)

On 31 Oct 2002, Ian Stuart wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 22:02, Pawel Kot wrote:
> > On 30 Oct 2002, Ian Stuart wrote:
> >
> > > Setting the suid bit is out, as gtk+ barfs.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand this.
> The word "barfs", or what I was talking about generally?

Both ;-)

> If I "chmod 2750 xgnokii" then it will not start. there is a meesage
> printed to STDOUT from GTK+ saying that it will not allow SUID/SGID
> programs to run.

Okay. Read the FAQ. You shouldn't make (IMHO) any gnokii binary besides
mgnokiidev suid or sgid anything. Group management is a good thing and
provides better security. You can also use console groups mechanism. Every
user that is logged in on the trusted console (/etc/securetty)
automatically becomes member of these groups. As you will probably always
run gnokii on the local machine this should be sufficient unless too many
people have access to the box.

> > > I needed to give (gnokii) group permissions to the /var/lock directory,
> >
> > See the comments in the Docs/samples/gnokiirc
> OK - I see where you are coming from now...

That was the kludge. I can't see any good solution as every distribution
provides own concept of /var/lock and /var/ttyS* permissions and
ownership.

> > > I've also noticed that I can update the contents of the phones SMS
> > > inbox, but the phone still thinks that it has two new messages...
> > > Another wee think to think about....
> >
> > Is your point that gnokii does not change message status?
> Yes (I think)
> The phone still shows the tell-tail icon for "new message" in the
> display, even if I have deleted the message :)

Yeah. That's the feature. Probably someone will "fix" it some day. ;-)