Re: OT: Optimal settings for PPP over IrComm / IrDA

From: Karl E. Jorgensen
Subject: Re: OT: Optimal settings for PPP over IrComm / IrDA
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 14:48:24 +0100

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 04:15:31AM +0200, Christian Rishoj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is quite OT, but I thought some of you must have a clue:
>
> When I use my Nokia 8310 to connect to the internet I get speeds that are
> way below those I have when I use the same phone with Windows. I suspect
> this is due to a faulty configuration. What would the optimal configuration
> of baud rate, hardware/software flow control, irda stuff and so forth be?

For whatever it's worth:
I found that with my 7110 that lowering MTU and MRU helps a bit. At
least then DNS won't time out while other transfers are taking place.

Note: Lowering MRU/MTU will (allegedly) decrease overall xfer rate, as
the TCP/IP headers remain fixed. But its good for lower speed links - on
my 7110 I don't get more than 9600 bps :-(

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
address@hidden