Re: Patches #219 - #224

From: Feico de Boer
Subject: Re: Patches #219 - #224
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:53:39 +0200

Ok, now I understand. I was afraid for this already.

There a few remarks that I want to make.

1) gnokii.ds[p|w] in win32 directory
I don't like this version that is available here since it puts all the
sources into one project and does not distinguish between the application
code and the library code. My projects do and later I want to add DLL
support to these same files. Apart from this, the projects don't work
because they use absolute paths instead of relative paths.

2) location of the dsp/dsw files
I would rather see at least the 'workspace' file in the root for visibility.
You can argue about the project files, maybe they should be in the
application directory. I don't like the win32 directory for this because of
the 'visibility' I pointed out in another mail. See the workspace and
project files as makefiles for Visual Studio, as such I think they should be
in comparable locations.

3) config1 in win32 directory
The file naming is absolutely incorrect IMHO, it works in combination with
fcopy.bat and is then renamed to config.h. My goal is to avoid all the
copying and allow for Visual Studio compilation in the actual source tree.
The supplied config1 is also to incomplete for what I try to achieve. The
basic idea is that you use autoconf/configure to generate config.h.
Platforms without these utilities should either provide simular tools, port
these tools or have a manual config option. I'm opting for the latest, again
for visibility I would rather see it in the include directory, at the same
spot as the master config.h.in.in.

4) the .bat files
I don't know why anyone would use these anyway, especially not in this form.
If the project is setup correctly you can live without them.

Disclaimer: It is not my intention to hurt anyones feelings. However, the VC
compile environment supplied is IMHO to restricted and limited with regard
to it's implementation.

Regards,
Feico