Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code

From: Peter and Jesse
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:09:16 -0700

> The copyright notice says "The Regents of the University of California"
> (plural) so there might be more than one person you can contact?
>
> If we could find who put the update-statement in there we could ask that
> person. The best thing I could find was
> http://lxr.linux.no/linux-old+v2.4.0/drivers/net/bsd_comp.c, which shows
> that the update was introduced in 2.4.0. Does anybody know of an easy
> web front end to the kernel revision logs so that we can find the author
> of the change?

Ooh, you're right. I contacted Paul Mackerras (paulus), but looking at
the old kernels, his time-stamped name is there before the license was
changed. Regarding the Regents of the University of California, they
would have been the copyright holders in the original license, so I
wouldn't think they would have anything to do with the problematic
introduction. However, if folks want, I can try to get a hold of the
appropriate people at the U of C.
 Peter