Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Rethinking Gobuntu

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Rethinking Gobuntu
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:00:06 +0800

Hi Chris,

0)  Can we define the goal of Gobuntu? It was aimed to be a completely free
distro based on each new release of Ubuntu at the begining (see
http://blue-gnu.biz/content/what_makes_gobuntu_different_gnewsense).

1)  Can we define the goal of gNS? Create a free distro based on LTS releases
of Ubuntu and create Builder to help achieve this.

2)  Are these goals compatible? Yep

3)  If so, is one project stronger than the other? Can't say for sure

4)  If the goals of both are similar, can we concentrate on one, at
the (perceived) expense of the other? I don't know

5)  Are these Debian based distros based on Debian, or is Ubuntu
completely independent of Debian, but just uses the DEB package
system? I don't know

6)  If there is a firm relationship with Debian, would we be
better-off basing the future distro on the Debian release cycle?  Pro:
Stability, Con (?): Long release schedule. I think the Ubuntu base is stable
enough, moreover it's easier to use and the community is really active at
helping (I don't know debian's situation for this last point)

7)  Can we post these questions somewhere where people can add comments to
them? Yes, but where?

8)  Very importantly for me, what does Brian Brazil think of this, as
it was his great idea that got me caught-up in all this?

9)  Finally, this is meant to stimulate thought, not to antagonize.  I
shall get my flame retardant suit on, in preparation for the
(needless) criticism I will receive for my questions.

I'll add my answer to the Mark's question: I think the Ubuntu team should
distribute two versions of the kernel it uses, one removing non-free and
binary-only drivers. And the official Universe repository should only contain
free software (no binary-only).

I personally think gNewSense is more user-friendly, at least for the
possibility to use the live-CD.

Christophe (pitof)