[gNewSense-users] KFV: sourceless GPL firmware marked as "free"

From: Markus Laire
Subject: [gNewSense-users] KFV: sourceless GPL firmware marked as "free"
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:57:52 +0300

Hello,
I just noticed that page
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--atm
lists file atmsar11.data as free.

I think this is an error but wanted to ask before changing anything.

atmsar11.data has following license:
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--atm--atmsar11-data
/*
  Madge Ambassador ATM Adapter microcode.
  Copyright (C) 1995-1999  Madge Networks Ltd.

  This microcode data is placed under the terms of the GNU General
  Public License. The GPL is contained in /usr/doc/copyright/GPL on a
  Debian system and in the file COPYING in the Linux kernel source.

  We would prefer you not to distribute modified versions without
  consultation and not to ask for assembly/other microcode source.
*/

In other words this is GPL:ed data for which source is not available. As such it should IMO be considered to be undistributable by gNS since gNS isn't able to provide source for this file as required by the GPL.

ps. I noticed this problem by noting that page
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing
lists this file as "nondistributable", while gNS lists it as "free".

--
Markus Laire