Re: [gNewSense-users] Wireless Question

From: Anthony Patarini
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Wireless Question
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:51:06 -0900

The FSF maintains a small list of Free hardware, including wireless cards:

http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw

Karl Goetz wrote:
Matt Crandall wrote:
Hello! I just wanted to say that I really appreciate the work you guys have done here. I've wanted to use a strictly FSF friendly distro for a long time, and this seems to be just that distro. I'm using Ubuntu Dapper currently, though I've been using GNU/Linux for a number of years now, with a variety of distros.

I had a question. I currently only have wireless net access available to me, and as such need the wireless in my laptop to work. I'm using ndiswrapper and the broadcom drivers right now (yech!) because that's my internal setup (Dell Inspiron 2200 Laptop). Was thinking about buying a PCMCIA wireless card that is more GPL friendly, and was looking for recommendations?

I hear the atheros chipsets have a free but unstable driver, not sure about others.
kk

I really want to install gnewsense now, but without ndiswrapper and the broadcom drivers (I have the drivers, but I'm assuming you guys probably frown on using ndiswrapper, understandably of course), I'm outta luck for internet access.

Oh, and one more thing, I don't know who your artwork designers are, but kudos for a beautiful distribution.

Hoping to be using gnewsense soon!

-Matt