[gNewSense-users] Classpath Exception

From: Peter Rock
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Classpath Exception
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:24:33 +0100

> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:47:02 -0600
> From: "Matthew D. Armistead" <address@hidden>
> Subject: [gNewSense-users] Java being released GPL...
> To: address@hidden
>
> Sun just announced that Java code, including code previously released
> under the Sun CDDL will now be released under GPLv2. My question is:
> What is the Classpath Exception and how does it fit in to the concept
> of (truly) free software?

My understanding is that the "classpath exception" basically makes the
GPL function more like the LGPL. Why they did not simply choose the LGPL
is not clear to me. However, unless there is an undesirable consequence
to doing this, choosing the GPL is clearly good for us. Any positive
publicity for the license that defends freedom through copyleft can only
be a good thing.

Peter.
(http://gnuosphere.blogspot.com)