Re: [gNewSense-users] GNASH?

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GNASH?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 10:43:17 +0000

On 11/3/06, Benj. Mako Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
<quote who="Brian Brazil" date="Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:42:10PM +0000">
> To make it clear, to put a package officially into gNewSense that is not in
> Ubuntu is not going to be easy. The less changes we have to make the better.

That really doesn't need to be that hard either, especially if the
software is not in Ubuntu or Debian already. A seperate repository

I don't mean hard to do. I mean hard to get past me. Our goal is to keep as close to
Ubuntu as we can, at least until we have developers who are willing to help in the long
term. Then we can consider going further.

> If any package does want to get included, attention MUST be given to
> how it will be supported in the future - requiring at a minimum a
> fully automated process.

The automation of this process is precisely the problem that soyuz
(part of Launchpad) is designed to deal with. The short version of the
story is that it's a *very* hard problem to automate this although on
a package by package basis, bzr will probably do most of the trick.

There will be very few (if any) packages added that aren't in Ubuntu, so
this would be done on a package by package basis.

Currently the only ones I would consider would be gnash and iceweasel.

Brian