Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Q

From: Joaquín Cuéllar
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Q
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 09:58:30 +0200

In fact, for the future :-D

I think all Intel wifi cards  (also bluetooth) needs a propietary
firmware to run, (I can be wrong here! :-D)

A good place for searching also is:
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/

with your model you can go to the driver page. (iwlwifi, ipw2100,
etc.) and see the firmware needed.

Normally drivers are now free, as Radeon or Nouveau for graphic cards,
but they need a binary firmware, a small portion to be executed by the
Linux Kernel to fully work.

What I do is look for my model there, take note of the driver, go to
the driver page and download the firmware .tar.gz, then, look for it's
license. When it's closed it says something as: "Your soul is my
propierty and you can do nothing at all, or something like that"
for example:

[...]
Copyright (c) 2006-2008, Intel Corporation.
All rights reserved.

Redistribution.  Redistribution and use in binary form, without
modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:
[...]

The best, normally, are the Atheros Wifi cards, other option would be
savage an old one from other computer, and try to change your pci
intel card for the new one. It's true that not always it's possible as
BIOS can block some wifi models to be recognised.

A hard world this :-)
cheers!