Re: [Gnewsense-dev] bug #39671: xxkb: fully non-free

From: Erik Grun
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] bug #39671: xxkb: fully non-free
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 15:49:11 +0200

Am 14.09.2014 um 14:31 schrieb arnuld uttre:
>> I believe Whatsapp is non-free software. I'm sure there are free
>> software XMPP clients that provide similar functions. Please
>> consider using those.
>
>> I'm guessing from your use of Whatsapp that you carry around a
>> pocket computer. If you're worried about control then read some
>> of the links [1] rms collects about the issues surrounding cell
>> phones.
>

> I can not find a fRee Software alternative. That way I should
> remove Android too and put REPLICANT instead (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicant_%28operating_system%29 ).
> and should not install Google Play too, not ust whatsapp.  I don't
> seem to find a free software alternative to whataspp. Firefox OS
> phones have started coming to India but Firefox browser is not
> completely free, hence I can not expect OS te be free.
>
> And I should throw away (or at least stop using)  the
> NOKIA/Samsung/(Anyone-Here) feature phones too . I can not use any
> phone then because there is no company offering feature phones
> with fully free OS.
>
> This way I will cut and disconnect myself from this world. Even if
> I could write an OS in ten years and release it under GPLv3, what
> about the rest of 99% of phones.

There are of course alternatives for WhatsApp and GooglePlay.
Instead of WhatsApp you could use for example TextSecure[1] or
ChatSecure[2].
And instead of GooglePlay you could use F-Droid[3].
CyanogenMod is a really good Alternative for Android[4].
Unfortunately it is not 100% free, but it supports a wide range of
phones and fortunately you can use it without a google account.
The Free Software Foundation Europe has more information[5] about it.

I hope this helps you.

-- Erik G.

[1]https://github.com/WhisperSystems/TextSecure
[2]https://chatsecure.org/