Re: [Gnewsense-dev] bug #39671: xxkb: fully non-free

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] bug #39671: xxkb: fully non-free
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 23:46:23 +0200

Op Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:03:04 +0530
schreef arnuld uttre <address@hidden>:

> Developer has changed its license to 2.0 version. I have downloaded
> the latest source from here and chegked myself:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xxkb/

So did he manage to contact the copyright holder after all?

> > Listen to Gervase Markham's "Licensing In The Trenches" talk [2]
> > (00:10
> > - 00:16) for a good story about relicensing.
>
> One hell of an information there. I cut the relevant port and sent it
> to my friend over whatsapp :)

I believe Whatsapp is non-free software. I'm sure there are free
software XMPP clients that provide similar functions. Please consider
using those.

> Came to know another shocking thing when I compiled IceCat 17.0 ,
> found LibreJS add on installed by default. Proprietary Code added to
> my browser dynamically , OMG, new level of software control. And half
> of the sites I was visiting on regular basis had such control and I
> was not even aware , especially when I called myself an advanced
> GNU/Liux user who was using Arch since 2012.
>
> Give me more links on such amazing stuff.

I'm guessing from your use of Whatsapp that you carry around a pocket
computer. If you're worried about control then read some of the links
[1] rms collects about the issues surrounding cell phones.

[1]
https://stallman.org/archives/2014-jul-oct.html#27_August_2014_%28Portable_phone_tracking%29