Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New installation issues

From: George Roberge
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] New installation issues
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 19:01:50 -0400

On Sun, 2014-03-30 at 15:31 +0200, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Op Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:28:13 -0400
schreef George Roberge <address@hidden>:

> I did not try any other kernels because I figured, from what I saw on
> that site, that I needed to update my repo list.  Without Internet
> access that would not have been possible.  I only read through the
> site fast, though, so if there is an offline way to do it I missed it.

You can use another computer (or OS) to download a linux-image deb
straight from the repo pool [1]. The copy it to the gNewSense partition
and install it using "dpkg --install /path/to/file" or gdebi.
I am VERY pleased to tell you that this absolutely worked, and worked like a charm.  I experimented first using a VM, but that didn't go very well, I'm assuming because the way the VM interpreted the USB wireless adapter.  I grabbed the source, headers, and image from the site you mentioned, and installed them as directed.

The next step was to move the two wireless adapter firmware files into /lib/firmware, and voila!  After rebooting I was immediately greeted by a request for my wireless network password.

As a bonus, the OS recognized both the brightness and sound buttons on the laptop!  The original kernel did not.  Excellent!

And, as another bonus, the gNewSense site it up!

Thank you for your advice, and on to finishing the brochure!
George R.

> I'll assume that someone worked on it last night, because this morning
> it was humming along.

I guess spammers (or their botnets) have to sleep too. :)

[1] http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/freesh/pool/main/l/