Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Freedom Bug in Debian Package JCadencii

From: Tobias Platen
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Freedom Bug in Debian Package JCadencii
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 09:40:57 +0200

On 08.10.2013 22:54, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Op Tue, 08 Oct 2013 17:16:23 +0200
> schreef Tobias Platen <address@hidden>:
>
>> I've found out that the debian package "jcadencii" seems to be useless
>> in the free world. The programm is already in the Trisquel
>> repositories, but it recommends non-free software. It should not be
>> included in any free distro.
>
> Thanks for the warning. It's not in Parkes, but we'll have to check it
> for Parkes+1. Could you be more specific about the issue?

Hello

Cadencii was originally developed to run VOCALOID on Mac OS X. VOCALOID
is nonfree sofware that runs only on Windows.  Most other backends for
singing synthesis are also nonfree, the only free backend is
v.Connect-STAND which is trapped by Windows. I've tried to run
v.Connect-STAND using wine together with cadencii, but it did not work.

There is another note editor inspired by VOCALOID, UTAU and Cadencii, at
https://github.com/qtau-devgroup. The new editor does not recommend
nonfree software, one can use that on a fully free system.

Tobias Platen