Re: [Gnewsense-dev] GNU C-Graph: Over 100, 000 Discover That Visualizing

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] GNU C-Graph: Over 100, 000 Discover That Visualizing Convolution is Easy
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 21:19:35 +1000

Adrienne Thompson <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Ideally, gNewSense would have all GNU software included, and
> > educational software is particularly interesting. Due to lack of
> > manpower we haven't reached that goal yet. The best way to get a
> > package into gNewSense is to get it into Debian. Alternatively, you
> can
> > report your request as a wishlist bug and hope someone will pick it
> up.
> >

> I contacted Debian earlier this year and made a RFP:
>
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694088>

Thats good - its something to refer to when asked if you have requested
packaging and should someone approach you asking if they can package it you
could also point them at the open bug report.

>  From the informal feedback I got, I'm not persuaded that certain of
> your Debian colleagues value freedom - in the broader sense of the
> word.

I would like to point out that there is no relationship between gNewSense and
Debian, so Debian contributors are not our colleagues per se.

> There is more going on here than meets the eye.

This sounds like conspiracy, in my opinion this isn't really the list for it.

> Interest in the package should also be associated with demand. If
> gNewSense are interested you are likely to get a better response by
> making the request to Debian directly. I hope you do, and that you
> find
> that GNU C-Graph is a valuable addition to gNewSense. Thank you,

If you haven't opened a wishlist bug in gNewSense to get it packaged I'm happy
to do so, but please note that there is no guarantee it will be packaged in the
near future.

Side question for you as upstream: Are you willing to include an example
debian/ directory (or other distro specific packaging metadata) in upstream
code repository?

thanks,
kk