Re: [Gnewsense-dev] kernel default

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] kernel default
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 23:06:29 +0200

Op Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:54:48 -0300
schreef Albino B Neto <address@hidden>:

> The kernel is "old", we could use kernel 3.2 as Wheezy or last (using
> linux-libre scripts).
>
> IHMO, other suggestion is use Linux-Libre standard, with changes for
> the gNS.

Installing stand-alone Linux-Libre debs generally just works. Using them
(or the Wheezy kernel) as the default kernel is something else
entirely. Much of the work on Parkes involved matching the kernel
(version) in several packages. Differences with Wheezy and Linux-libre
are much bigger and so would involve more work. Tracking Linux-libre
releases does not fit with using stable Debian releases as a base and
using the Wheezy kernel would probably create more problems than it
would solve (especially given our limited developer resources).