[Gnewsense-dev] Issues 3.0 beta1

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Issues 3.0 beta1
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 00:17:49 +0200

I just announced 3.0 beta1 on gnewsense-users. The biggest remaining
issue is that the Live installer doesn't work right. For some reason
it's not taking the preseed file. I've spent some days investigating
it, but I'm not getting any further right now. These are my findings.

I added debian-installer's preseed.cfg to live-build's config, as
suggested in the Debian Live manual [1]. I also added the file boot
parameter for it in the syslinux configuration, as you can see when you
hit Tab in the Live CD's boot menu. Those preseed values are recognized
by the live CD, because "debconf-show d-i" shows them. But they're not
carried over into debian-installer-launcher.

The execution steps are as follows:

- /usr/bin/debian-installer-launcher
- /usr/share/debian-installer-launcher/plugins/live
  - live_prepare adds some to a preseed.cfg copy and expands gtk/initrd
    to /live/installer
  - live_run mounts /live/installer and
    runs /usr/share/debian-installer-launcher/debian-installer.sh
- (in chroot) /sbin/debian-installer-startup
- /lib/debian-installer-startup.d/S*, including S35init-preseed

As far as I can tell S35init-preseed is supposed to read preseed.cfg by
means of preseed_location (sourced from /lib/preseed/preseed.sh). I
expected the values in the chroot's /var/lib/cdebconf/*, but I don't
see them. A lookup with db_get in a shell started from Live installer
turns up empty.

There's a Debian bug report [2] that seemed to hold the solution, but
applying that patch to debian-installer-launcher didn't help. Either
that isn't a solution after all (the reporter didn't confirm) or
something else was fixed before that. Or the problem is in another
package.

Does anyone else want to have fun with this? Here's the auto/config
file for live-build I'm using:

#!/bin/sh

lb config noauto \
        --mode gnewsense --distribution parkes \
        --packages-lists "gnome-desktop" \
        --debian-installer live \
        --packages debian-installer-launcher \
        --bootappend-live file=/live/image/install/preseed.cfg \
        --linux-flavours 486 \
        --iso-preparer "gNewSense developers <address@hidden>" \
        --iso-publisher "gNewSense GNU/Linux, http://www.gnewsense.org/"; \
        --source true \