Re: [Gnewsense-dev] GNU Emacs and GFDL documentation.

From: Marek Buras
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] GNU Emacs and GFDL documentation.
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 16:54:35 +0100

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 10:56:14AM +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> My plan is to import GFDL packages from Debian non-free. That should be
> a lot less work than merging docs into the main packages.

This is much better idea. We can forget what I posted earlier ;)

> I did a quick search and only found it in Sid. I learned from our work
> on Metad that backporting gets messy very quickly. What seems at first
> like an innocent package with few dependencies to be resolved often
> turns out needing a whole chain of binary and build dependencies,
> potentially all the way down to libc. Is there a compelling reason to
> have Emacs 24.2 in Parkes?

For me the most visible feature in emacs 24.x is support for GNU TLS. There are
probably other, even more important features, but I'm not that heavy Emacs user
to talk about it (still doing penance while editing files with vim ;D). 23.2
with Debian patches isn't broken, so there's no need to fix anything. If other,
more skilled emacs users have nothing to add about 24.2, we can forget about my
questions ;) There are probably more important tasks to complete.

--
Marek Buras
cyfr0n (at) go2.pl