Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:31:09 +0100

Christophe Jarry wrote:
Is it possible for me to "just" write a patch (eventually a .deb
package) that would patch every xulrunner update on the fly? I am
thinking about some kind of `xulrunner-plugin-patch' package on which
xulrunner would depend, so that every xulrunner update will
automatically call the patch. Can this work?

Does the fix require a change in the compiled source code or is it sufficient to modify a system-wide configuration file? In case of the latter you can implement something similar to deltah's openoffice.org-fix package [1]. It uses dpkg-divert to move aside the regular file and replace it with a new one.

The upside of this tactic is that we don't have to track xulrunner and that we don't have to keep the whole thing in our VCS. The downside is that existing installs don't get the new package automatically (new installs would get it via tasksel).

If you need to change the actual source code than there's no alternative but to track upstream. Metad doesn't have an automatic source patching infrastructure like deltah has.

[1] bzr://sandbox.gnewsense.org/packages-deltah/openoffice.org-fix/