Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Free Software eBook reader

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Free Software eBook reader
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 09:33:36 +0200

It seems I have been mistaken in my message from may, 10th 2010
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-dev/2010-05/msg00035.html):

"However, the e-Reader InLibroVeritas Opus stands out not only for its
portability (with the standard USB mass storage, thus compatible with
Microsoft, Mac, [GNU/]Linux and others), but also by its lack of DRM
and its free [GNU/]Linux-based firmware."

In fact, this reader supports the following DRM formats: ePUB and
Mobipocket (see
http://www.bookeen.com/en/supportfaq/?idPart=1&idCategory=21,
`What are the formats supported by the Opus?'). It is possible to read
a normal PDF, txt, html file though.

"I browsed licenses in the source code and all is under GPLv2 or
GPLv2+ ;)"

Yes, all GPL code is GPL... But now, you have to register to see this
code (see http://www.bookeen.com/en/supportdownload/?idPart=3). Is that
a GPL violation?
Moreover, this ebook also uses proprietary software to
read PDF and ePUB files: Adobe(R) ePUB/PDF Reader (see
http://www.bookeen.com/en/cybook/?id=1, `Specifications').

Sorry for those mistakes guys,

Christophe