Re: [lemote] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Power management problem

From: zhangfx
Subject: Re: [lemote] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Power management problem
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 22:47:29 +0800

Techically bigger internal battery is possible, but in business it is not quite clear worthing to do: the requirements might be limited while NRE cost is high(tooling+testing+certification etc.). And for now big battery means heavier and bigger size, which might also lower the attractive of it.

For Yeeloong external battery might look ugly due to the hinge style.

Regards

Graziano 写道:
Richard Stallman ha scritto:
With an external battery, the system thinks it has unlimited power
available, and uses it all fast.  We need a way to declare
"pretend there is no external power".

This is another reason why a bigger internal battery would
be better -- the existing conservation features would activate.

How about making a really big "internal" battery that would run
underneath the whole base of the machine?  It could be a 5-cell battery,
and it could give 10 hours of operation.  It would make external batteries
totally unnecessary.

I fully agree with you.
I feel the need for a bigger internal battery too.

IMHO a netbook should run at least 8/10 hours with internal battery.
It's meant to be portable after all.

I seem to remember from previous emails that a bigger battery was not
supported by the current bios or something like that.

What changes are needed to support it?