Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Add a gnu to the penguin

From: Lars Nooden
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Add a gnu to the penguin
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 21:13:16 +0200

Jason Self wrote:
> On Dec 19, 2009, at 4:48 AM, Karl Goetz wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure how easy it is to widen the image - you able to enlighten
>> us lxo?
>
> It actually seems very easy, with the only "real" requirement being that the
> width needs to be divisible by 8 and the warning that larger images may cover
> up boot messages. The site at [1] provides some patches to do various things,
> including centering the image on screen during boot (but are rather old and
> haven't been updated for the 2.6 kernels.) The site also makes the suggestion
> to put boot text on a secondary console for larger images.
>
> [1] http://www.arnor.net/linuxlogo/index.html

I always considered it to be the kernel's mascot.  GNU was always the
rest of the distro or else, like in the case of old SunOS, something
essential to add during the post-install configuration.

A splash screen for X with a Gnu theme would be nice for branding the
distro and visually identifying versions of the distro.  What are the
meaning of the names deltah and metad?  Those might be played on in
making a Gnu image.

/Lars