[Gnewsense-dev] Re: linux-image-2.6.32.1-libre-lemote and -2.6.31.8-libr

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: linux-image-2.6.32.1-libre-lemote and -2.6.31.8-libre2-lemote
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:32:42 -0500

Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:43:22 -0200
> Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 15, 2009, Alexandre Oliva <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> It is now time to announce 2.6.32.1-libre and 2.6.31.8-libre2.
>>> Corresponding gNewSense/mipsel (Lemote Yeeloong) [...]
>>> are underway.
>> They're now available from the apt repository at
>>
>> deb http://linux-libre.fsfla.org/pub/linux-libre/lemote/gnewsense
>> metad main
>>
>> Once you set it up in sources.list, you'll be able to do:
>>
>> # apt-get install linux-image-2.6.31.8-libre2-lemote \
>>                   linux-image-2.6.32.1-libre-lemote
>>
>> Now, beware: 2.6.32.* kernels require you to add machtype=8.9 in the
>> boot command line in order to deal with lemote yeeloong laptops
>> properly, as in, reporting battery, powering off, and probably more.
>>

> Will this compile cleanly for ia32/amd64? If yes I'll build a kernel
> from that source :)

It's from lemote's rt4ls git branch I believe - I wouldn't use the same
source for non-yeeloong if it's avoidable.

The yeeloong/lemote-specific source code may make the 2.6.33 mainline
linux merge window that is closing in a few days, and if not that should
be in 2.6.34 (I think Wu is at least mostly doing this); until then I
think it would probably be best to stick with the upstream linux
versions for i386 and amd64.

Even after that, I'm not sure we would want to deviate from the upstream
 linux version for gNS 3 i386 and amd64; we are doing so for
mipsel/yeeloong only because the really recent versions are needed for
basic functions (wifi, suspend, hibernate) to work at all or well.

On the other hand, as something to go in a non-main repository, I think
a 2.6.32 would be great, but we could probably just backport from sid (+
-libre of course) for that (I recently just grabbed the debian sources
for sid 2.6.32 for amd64 to do a test, and did the usual dpkg-source -x
/ dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc thing, and it compiled and ran fine).

BTW the sort of hard to find doc on doing linux compiles the (real, not
make-kpkg with makes dkms not work and doesn't get you proper sources
you can get with apt-get source) debian way are at:

http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny