Re: [Gnewsense-dev] status of freedom bugs

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] status of freedom bugs
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:04:09 +1030

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:37:49 +0100
Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 05, 2009 at 12:28:03AM +1030, Karl Goetz wrote:

> > http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00351 partly fixed upstream,
> > forwarded http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=559443
>
> Files without explicit copyright notice aren't necessarily
> unlicensed.  It is generally understood that the global license
> notice applies to them.

True (I titled this bug badly, it should have mentioned the possibility
of mame copying).
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=559443#10 means this
will be fixed 'in the future' at least.

> It's good practice to put a license notice in each file though.
>
> > http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00354 not sure if debian would
> > consider this a bug.
>
> They wouldn't.  Actually I'm not even sure it's a bug myself.  The
> person running the non-free software that could connect to this isn't
> necessarily the same who runs the server.  In fact, they might not
> even know each other.

Would you say its a situation similar to samba?

> > http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00355 not sure if debian would
> > consider this a bug.
>
> They consider this a bug for Recommends but not for Suggests.  I
> think our easiest approach would be to remove those suggests using
> archive overrides rather than removing the affected package.
>
> So we basically have two options:
>
>   - Adjust overrides manually for each package that is found to do
> this.
>
>   - Remove Suggests field altogether.  It wasn't that useful anyway.
>
> I tend to favour the second due scarcity of manpower.

I'm familiar with overrides, but not sure how one would remove the
suggests fields - rebuild packages?
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)