[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Linux 2.6.31.6 for Loongson

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Linux 2.6.31.6 for Loongson
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:28:08 -0500

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 01:20:12PM +0800, Wu Zhangjin wrote:
>> Hi, All
>>
>> Linux 2.6.31.6 for Loongson is available.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>   o MIPS: Alsa memory maps fixup(reported by Qiaochong)
>>     (fixes of the sound relative problem)
>>   o yeeloong2f: cleanup the backlight/videooutput driver
>>     (Not init the default brightness, reported by gnewsense-dev)
>>   o yeeloong2f, backlight: fixes of the problem of Fn+F2
>>     (Fix the problem of Fn+F2 with EC>=26, reported by gnewsense-dev)
>>   o updated to the official linux-2.6.31.6
>> (http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.31.y.git;a=summary)
>>
>> BTW: the basic support for lemote loongson2f family machines is already
>> in Ralf's linux-queue tree, which is queued for linus' 2.6.33 ;)
>> http://www.linux-mips.org/git?p=linux-queue.git
>
> Thanks.  New package built & currently being uploaded for gNewSense / metad.

Some suggested config changes to gnewsense metad are at:
http://config.fsf.org/misc/diff-gnewsense-2.6.31.6-libre1-to-fsf1.patch

Rational for them below (prefixed with ***)

*** Since CPU_FREQ features are new, maybe it makes sense to enable
debugging information by default? The help for these didn't have any
"this wastes a lot of CPU time" comments or anything, but if these do
make things slower and not work then they should not be included.
+CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG=y
+CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=m
+CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y

*** Added other CPU_FREQ modes as modules, as I figured it couldn't hurt
anything, and might be useful for testing.
+CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=m
+CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=m
+CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=m

*** Bluetooth support; don't see why not to include it, and there are
tiny USB bluetooth adapters that work well with the yeeloong.
+CONFIG_BT=m
+CONFIG_BT_L2CAP=m
+CONFIG_BT_SCO=m
+CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM=m
+CONFIG_BT_RFCOMM_TTY=y
+CONFIG_BT_BNEP=m
+CONFIG_BT_BNEP_MC_FILTER=y
+CONFIG_BT_BNEP_PROTO_FILTER=y
+CONFIG_BT_HIDP=m
+CONFIG_BT_HCIBTUSB=m
+CONFIG_BT_HCIBFUSB=m
+CONFIG_BT_HCIVHCI=m

*** People may want to use USB wifi adapters for better performance or
range, so need to enable the MAC80211 stuff that those drivers depend on.
+CONFIG_CFG80211=m
+CONFIG_LIB80211=m
+CONFIG_LIB80211_DEBUG=y
+CONFIG_MAC80211=m
+CONFIG_MAC80211_DEFAULT_PS=y
+CONFIG_MAC80211_DEFAULT_PS_VALUE=1
+CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL=y
+CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT_MINSTREL=y
+CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT="minstrel"
+CONFIG_MAC80211_LEDS=y

*** It's useful to see LEDS....
+CONFIG_RFKILL_LEDS=y

*** This looked possibly useful and harmless to enable as an option.
+CONFIG_RFKILL_INPUT=y

*** Dummy ethernet device comes in handy sometimes
+CONFIG_DUMMY=m

*** TUN device needed for lots of VPN solutions, such as OpenVPN
+CONFIG_TUN=m

*** Looked possibly useful and harmless to build
+CONFIG_VETH=m

*** Builds ath5k and ath9k support as modules. I'm not sure it's
possible to get these devices in USB form factor, but having them around
as modules seemed harmless.
+CONFIG_ATH_COMMON=m
+CONFIG_ATH5K=m
+CONFIG_ATH9K=m

*** Build ath9k USB support - we actually have one of these and I will
be testing it again soon; it wouldn't work with the .30 linux. Note that
AR9170 does have firmware you need to download, but it is claimed that
the firmware is free software - see
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170.fw
"""
This page is for the ar9170 open firmware. ar9170.fw is the firmware for
the Atheros 802.11n USB chipset (AR9170). It was released by Atheros
under the GPLv2 License with a lot of contributions made by the
community. The firmware is maintained by the community.
"""
+CONFIG_AR9170_USB=m
+CONFIG_AR9170_LEDS=y

*** For the RT2500 USB wifi adapter, the oldest USB adapter we know uses
only free software to drive it.
+CONFIG_RT2X00=m
+CONFIG_RT2500USB=m
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_USB=m
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB=m
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_CRYPTO=y
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_RFKILL=y
+CONFIG_RT2X00_LIB_LEDS=y

*** Netconsole support may be useful to people, and it is supposed to
work; it seemed harmless to compile it in as a module.
+CONFIG_NETCONSOLE=m
+CONFIG_NETCONSOLE_DYNAMIC=y
+CONFIG_NETPOLL=y
+CONFIG_NET_POLL_CONTROLLER=y

*** This is something some out-of-tree drivers need; seemed harmless to
build it as a module.
+CONFIG_INPUT_POLLDEV=m

*** Probably not needed; just trying to get apple keyboard to work so
enabled things that said "apple" :)
+CONFIG_MOUSE_APPLETOUCH=m

*** Some programs still do not support the V4L2 standard
+CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1_COMPAT=y

*** Seemed like possibly useful stuff to test V4L is working / hw is working
+CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_GEN=m
+CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_VMALLOC=m
+CONFIG_VIDEO_ADV_DEBUG=y
+CONFIG_VIDEO_VIVI=m

*** Support a bunch of external USB webcams and cameras
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA=m
+CONFIG_USB_M5602=m
+CONFIG_USB_STV06XX=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_CONEX=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_ETOMS=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_FINEPIX=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_MARS=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_MR97310A=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV519=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_OV534=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_PAC207=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_PAC7311=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SN9C20X=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SN9C20X_EVDEV=y
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXB=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SONIXJ=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA500=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA501=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA505=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA506=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA508=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SPCA561=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SQ905=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SQ905C=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_STK014=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_SUNPLUS=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_T613=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_TV8532=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_VC032X=m
+CONFIG_USB_GSPCA_ZC3XX=m
+CONFIG_USB_ET61X251=m
+CONFIG_USB_SN9C102=m
+CONFIG_USB_ZC0301=m
+CONFIG_USB_PWC_INPUT_EVDEV=y
+CONFIG_USB_ZR364XX=m
+CONFIG_USB_STKWEBCAM=m
+CONFIG_USB_S2255=m

*** Seemed harmless and possibly useful
+CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE=m

*** Some applications still do not support ALSA
+CONFIG_SOUND_OSS_CORE=y
+CONFIG_SND_HWDEP=m
+CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
+CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
+CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=m
+CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
+CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
+CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
+CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
+CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
+CONFIG_SND_HRTIMER=m
+CONFIG_SND_SEQ_HRTIMER_DEFAULT=y
+CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
+CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
+CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI_SEQ=m
+CONFIG_SND_MPU401_UART=m
+CONFIG_SND_DRIVERS=y
+CONFIG_SND_DUMMY=m
+CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI=m
+CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550=m
+CONFIG_SND_MPU401=m

*** Power saving options for the internal sound card would seem to make
sense
+CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE=y
+CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE_DEFAULT=10

*** Support external USB sound devices
+CONFIG_SND_USB=y
+CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO=m
+CONFIG_SND_USB_CAIAQ=m
+CONFIG_SND_USB_CAIAQ_INPUT=y

*** Support debugging of external USB keyboards (we are having a problem
with a USB2 keyboard)
+CONFIG_HID_DEBUG=y

*** Support external USB keyboards and mice
+CONFIG_USB_KBD=m
+CONFIG_USB_MOUSE=m

*** Including apple ones (they have one that is a very good form factor
for travel - I would love to know of a non-apple product as small)
+CONFIG_HID_APPLE=m

*** Be able to use the SD card slot on the yeeloong (note it is possible
to buy cards that do not support the DRM).
+CONFIG_MMC=m
+CONFIG_MMC_BLOCK=m
+CONFIG_MMC_BLOCK_BOUNCE=y

*** Blinking lights can be useful
+CONFIG_NEW_LEDS=y
+CONFIG_LEDS_CLASS=m
+CONFIG_LEDS_TRIGGERS=y

*** I'm not sure why this got changed from being builtin to being a
module; it may have been automatic. If it doesn't matter either way I
don't care which one metad goes with.
-CONFIG_LEMOTE_YEELOONG2F_PDEV=y
+CONFIG_LEMOTE_YEELOONG2F_PDEV=m

*** Be able to mount ext2 filesystems, which are sometimes on USB keys etc.
+CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m

*** Might as well enable filesystem encryption stuff
+CONFIG_CRYPTO_ECB=m
+CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4=m

Cheers,
--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny