[Gnewsense-dev] Re: GNU project preference?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: GNU project preference?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:35:49 +0200

Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 09:47:28AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Some of the default tools in gNewSense are non-GNU projects, even though
>> a GNU-project exists that implements the same tool.  Wouldn't it be nice
>> if gNewSense preferred the GNU tools when possible?
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> * /usr/bin/telnet - this is NetKit but GNU InetUtils exists
>> * /usr/bin/ftp - this is NetKit but GNU InetUtils exists
>> * /bin/ping - this is NetKit but GNU InetUtils exists
>
> I'm making those the default.  Will be effective next time we resync with
> the bazaar repo.

Great!

I spent some time learning live-helper..  Will things work if I point it
to the metad repository?  Is your work any near a point where you can
publish step-by-step instructions how to build a livecd for gnewsense
metad?

>> * /bin/sh - this is dash but GNU Bash exists
>
> Bash and dash serve different purposes.  Bash aims to have lots of useful
> features and dash aims to implement the minimum required by POSIX.

Yeah, I guessed that part may be controversial. :-)

Still, having a distribution that preferred GNU tools over non-GNU tools
everywhere would be something I'd want to use as a reference system to
make software I create work as smooth as possible.

/Simon