Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [KFV] no licence for shannon.h

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [KFV] no licence for shannon.h
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 00:26:48 +0200

crap0101 schreef:
Hi,
Update: attached is the mail i send to the author and his answer.
Fist, he said he's not really the author :)
The code as been taken from a post by comp.os.inferno (link at bug 352's
page), truly written by him (from arcshannon.c), but heavy modified by
someone and put in shannon.h.

In his opinion the pin assignment is hardly copyright, so maybe is ok to
have it.

It doesn't look very copyrightable to me either, as it's just a bit of data.

Files that don't have an explicit license notice but contain logic (e.g. uncompress.h in the same directory) give a bit more reason for concern, IMHO. In the case of uncompress.h it's not a problem, because it lacks originality. But I would feel a little bit less uneasy if we could scratch bug 242 [1] off our list. However, that requires creating more general awareness in the developer community rather than reporting each and every one of those files (and not only in the kernel) as a bug.

Also, he pointed out the follow: the copyright notice should be change
to reflect the real author and whence the code come from (detail in the
attachment).

The best person to get that changed upstream is himself, I presume.

[1] http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00242