Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [KFV] no reference for sv_addr.agh

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [KFV] no reference for sv_addr.agh
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:02:45 +0200

crap0101 schreef:
Hi, I need a piece of advice regarding a file i'm checking for KFV,
this:
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--include--asm-cris--arch-v10--sv-addr-agh
The file is too long, i cut some lines here
http://gnewsense.pastebin.com/m3e6855a5 (there are other *7000* lines of
defines)

Is not the code itself that make me doubtful, infact this one is well
documented ( see
http://www.axis.com/products/dev_etrax_100lx/index.htm ), but i think
about the head of the document: inside the first comment there's a
reference regarding 2 files used to generate this one, but none of these
is located in the kernel tree (the path is self-explanatory, anyway i
grepped it).
I think it was generated within the axis toolkit (download it requires
registration, i don't... yet).
The matter is: how to modify it, if we haven't the files which had
generated it (since is not recommended editing it directly) ? Since this file are placed there without reference, have that 2 files
above-mentioned would be nice.

what do you think?

i've opened a bug report: http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00323

For GPL works, the source code is the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it. The comment says that the contents of the file is not the recommended form for modification. My interpretation is that "recommended" means "recommended by the makers of the generation tool and "preferred" means "preferred by the user/developer of the resulting software. Let's assume that means the same in this context. Then this file is not the source code. And with source file and generation tool missing, this looks like it's non-free.

Other opinions/interpretations welcome.