Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install

From: Laurent GUERBY
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 00:43:46 +0200

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 18:19 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Microsoft's statement is shot full of holes and legally can't be
> counted on.  And it does not apply to all the standard C# libraries
> implemented in Mono anyway -- only the ones covered by ECMA.
>
> So it is a small step closer but changes nothing.
>
> The FSF will make a more detailed statement in a few days.

I hope the FSF will address Red Hat patent promise as well since
its wording is very similiar to the Microsoft patent promise:

http://www.redhat.com/legal/patent_policy.html
http://www.microsoft.com/interop/cp/default.mspx

Obious differences to the non-lawyer are:

- The Red Hat patent promise explicitely lists approved software
licences and of course does not cover future versions of the GPL (3.1 or
4.0 or whatever), in some worst case scenario it could matter.

- The Microsoft patent promise does not restrict software licences and
so covers future versions of the GPL but has a scope limited to specific
ECMA standards implementations.

Of course Red Hat is known to be friendler to free software :).

Sincerely,

Laurent