[Gnewsense-dev] Improving gNS "Help and Support"

From: Osama KM
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Improving gNS "Help and Support"
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:37:45 +0300

Hello, GNUers.

What does Free Software Movement need the most right now is raising
the awareness of free software social movement. This can only happen
if we can reach as much people as we can, by writing articles, drawing
artworks and launching more free software events.

Unfortunately, gNewSense current Help and Support Center (System ->
Help and Support) doesn't really do what we aim to. In fact, it
doesn't say _anything_ (as far as I could find) about the free
software movement and why using gNewSense, although there are too much
things to be said. (i.e. what's wrong with other distributions, why
there is no "Firefox", how to get gNewSense working with more drivers,
how can someone help, updated list of working drivers, especially
wirelesses,  and many other important things).

These things need to be included in the distribution instead of being
available only online or through IRC conversions.

Ubuntu has good, free (CC-BY-SA 2.5), basic documentation, although it
doesn't focus on ethics and philosophical background, but still, it
can be helpful and changeable to our needs.

If someone got a gNewSense CD from a friend or a website, they'd never
know its story due to the lack of basic documentation.

This documentation should be translatable, again, to reach as much
people as we can.

I'm not even sure if there is a team dealing with this issue, but I
could find something about this in the wiki. Instead, it links to
Ubuntu support websites and probably to some non-free documentation.

I'm not good as an English writer, so I won't be able to write
original documentations, but definitely I'll review the original texts
and translate them to the Arabic language.

Thank you for what you've done!
--
OsamaKhalid