[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Info manuals missing

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Info manuals missing
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:01:30 -0400

Danny Clark wrote:
> rms wrote:
>> In this gNewSense MIPS installation, several info manuals are missing,
>> including GCC, GDB, binutils, gawk, bison.
>>
>> I have a feeling that gNewSense MIPS has forgotten to add them.
>> Could you add all our manuals to gNewSense MIPS?
>
> Debian removes them because they are not DFSG-compliant, and I think you
> are correct that gnewsense-mipsel-l (and probably also other flavors of
> gnewsense) don't do anything to re-add them. That would be a good thing
> to do.
>
>> Danny, could you install them here?
>
> Yeah, I'll just grab them from the website and stick them somewhere for
> the time being.
>
> (BTW rms is subscribed to gnewsense-dev but does not get mail from it
> all the time to reduce his enormous mail load, so please cc: him on any
> replies you want him to see.)

FYI the current ugly workaround for this, from /etc/apt/sources.list :

## gnu info manuals
# debian has these in non-free - until they get into gNS, uncomment this
# just long enough to get the packages, then re-comment to avoid
# accidental download of actual non-free software
#deb http://debian.lcs.mit.edu/debian stable non-free

I'm guessing it won't be that hard to modify the scripts to pull *-doc
packages from the debian non-free repositories and put them in the
gnewsense-mipsel-l main repository.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny