Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site

From: Luis Alberto
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 21:26:07 -0500

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, 16 May 2009 09:44:17 -0400
Ted Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 14:31 +0200, Graziano Sorbaioli wrote:
> >
> > Karl Goetz ha scritto:
> >
> > > I still want to remove the forum when we move to new web
> > > services. From that perspective I'm not sure I should list the es
> > > forums. Thoughts from anyone?
> > > kk
> >

> > I don't think we should have too many support/sharing platforms.
> >
> > I see the forum as something useless when we already have a mailing
> > list.

That is exclusive for many users that their learning process is better on this kind of tools.

> > People looking for support should better subscribe themselves to our
> > users mailing list.
> >
> > My 2 cents.
>
> Mailing lists are not what new users expect in 2009. One of the main
> reasons Ubuntu has been so successful is because they have massive
> forums where a _lot_ of support goes on. If the forums are removed, it

Ubuntu's forums were unoffical for quite some time, before being
'blessed'.
They have become (and remain) a place for dirty hacks, recommending poor
software, and generally bad advice. Ubuntus forums are the perfect
example of the blind leading the blind.

> will just make gNewSense look like the distro of choice for elitist
> hyperpolitical nerds.

Or it could look like a distro that doesn't have a forum.

AFAIK,  Gmane can support several mediums, for the same source, rss, mailing list, some kind of forum type, and other stuff, this way (not sure about it yet), the communication/support on a single "core".

That could satisfy the technical issue for supporting several platforms, in just one.
(Please correct me if i'm wrong)

> If we want gNewSense to have the same growth as Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or
> Fedora, etc.) then it needs to have a forum. That will attract a

Which brings us to a question: Do we want gNewSense to have the same
growth. Personally, I'm not for it. What I hope we want is gNewSense to
be a completely Free Software operating system.

We sure do.

> completely different population than a mailing list would -- I don't
> see why the two are being viewed as mutually exclusive.

What positives does this completely different population offer?

New ideas?
Freedom is our value, free culture, free people, free mind, free ideas?

kk

--
Luis A. Guzmán García
Lo único que se necesita para que triunfe el mal es que los hombres buenos no hagan nada - Edmund Burke