Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 10:52:14 +0930

On Sat, 16 May 2009 09:44:17 -0400
Ted Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 14:31 +0200, Graziano Sorbaioli wrote:
> >
> > Karl Goetz ha scritto:
> >
> > > I still want to remove the forum when we move to new web
> > > services. From that perspective I'm not sure I should list the es
> > > forums. Thoughts from anyone?
> > > kk
> >

> > I don't think we should have too many support/sharing platforms.
> >
> > I see the forum as something useless when we already have a mailing
> > list.
> >
> > People looking for support should better subscribe themselves to our
> > users mailing list.
> >
> > My 2 cents.
>
> Mailing lists are not what new users expect in 2009. One of the main
> reasons Ubuntu has been so successful is because they have massive
> forums where a _lot_ of support goes on. If the forums are removed, it

Ubuntu's forums were unoffical for quite some time, before being
'blessed'.
They have become (and remain) a place for dirty hacks, recommending poor
software, and generally bad advice. Ubuntus forums are the perfect
example of the blind leading the blind.

> will just make gNewSense look like the distro of choice for elitist
> hyperpolitical nerds.

Or it could look like a distro that doesn't have a forum.

> If we want gNewSense to have the same growth as Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or
> Fedora, etc.) then it needs to have a forum. That will attract a

Which brings us to a question: Do we want gNewSense to have the same
growth. Personally, I'm not for it. What I hope we want is gNewSense to
be a completely Free Software operating system.

> completely different population than a mailing list would -- I don't
> see why the two are being viewed as mutually exclusive.

What positives does this completely different population offer?
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
Debian user / gNewSense contributor