Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Hispano Forum on main Site
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 15:18:46 +0100

Ted Smith wrote:

Hi All,

Upon reading Ted's mail I felt I really had to reply.

Snipped for sanity!

If we want gNewSense to have the same growth as Ubuntu (or Gentoo, or
Fedora, etc.) then it needs to have a forum. That will attract a
completely different population than a mailing list would -- I don't see
why the two are being viewed as mutually exclusive.

Where is the person who has shown the following qualities:

(A) a duration of support for the project, and shown to have similar aims.

(B) a level of technical skill suitable for running this aspect of the project, some of which are to be seen in (i) and (ii) **
(i)Where is the person to make web to forums and forums to web work?
(ii) Where is the person to stop spam on such forums?

(C) (this is the hard part,) have the trust of the FSF to work on the hardware they donate to the project

However if you (A) and (B) then perhaps (C) is not that hard.

** Proof of such an ability needs to be shown in advance because once the move is made it is very hard to say we are unhooking these technologies, thus it needs to be done right the first time to grow rather than break the project.
In my mind these conditions have not been fulfilled.

Any Takers?

Regards,

Paul